Saturday, June 12, 2010

Educated Religious Fanatics

So I just got back from a weeks vacation in the Southwest and yes I had my passport just in case I was mistaken for an illegal. Anyways while enjoying the pool at one of Vegas's finest I came across an interesting conversation going on amongst two guys and a girl who were all in their mid twenties. I soon realized that they were not together. The girl had just graduated Purdue University and her grandmother had brought her to Vegas for a graduation present. The guys were mechanics working in Alaska on the Pipeline. They work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. They were working her pretty hard to pick her up but were getting nowhere. As I started talking to her I realized that intellectually she wanted way more than they had to offer her. So I find out her family owns an investment firm and she was pretty conservative in her views and me being liberally independent brought out some good debate with her. We talked for about two hours in the pool as the shade temperature was 110 that day. The next day while in the pool she spotted me and called me over and soon the conversation turned to her conservative beliefs heading fast towards religion. I was brought up Catholic and I am a strong believer. I just don't adhere to the Catholic Church teachings and rules at this point. So at the end of May one of my follower/debaters in a reply to a post said "Now he knew where I stood on religion" because I said the phrase "Right Wing Religious Nut Job". So that's how he knows what my views on Christianity are? Ok my view is that any mainstream religion has fanatics who take phrases from their books and use them to advance their agenda no matter how radical or improper they are. And I am not afraid to say it, those people are religious nut jobs, wackos or anything else that is not politically correct describing someone who is fanatically crazy. So getting back to Vegas and the girl in the pool, a college educated, well spoken, intelligent human starts talking about Revelations, Rapture and how great the end is going to be with a fiery death. She is all for religious fanatics running this country. Look at the fanatic Muslim governments with religious rule. They all want the bomb, we don't want them to get it and somewhere in between the forces collide. At some point they are going to develop it whether we like it or not and Revelations will come true. She said that that was just fine with her. I can't figure out how someone who is so highly educated is such a nutjob. I personally don't want to die a fiery death. I enjoy life and want to live a long time. If religious people like her and the other wackjobs that feel that death is beautiful and wonderful and want rapture then they should just kill themselves and leave the rest of us alone.

4 comments:

  1. did she say she wanted to die?or was she saying she believes in an afterlife,did she say she wanted to die for her religion or that her beliefs make her unafraid.now you and attorney general holter can't say the words islamic terrorists,you because your afraid of hurting muslim feelings, holter because his law firm was defending them down in cuba[seems you can't find nothing wrong with that]but the facts are there blowing themselves up daily so they can get there virgins all in the name of alla,the other day they beheaded a 7 year old in pakistan,wow somehow in your mind you want to compare that religion with christianity,and don;t try coming up with what christians did hundreds of years ago it's not going to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. try saying something nice about christians instead of calling them all right wing nut jobs,seems to me when the suname hit a few years ago it was only western nations helping out a muslim country,hell even mike schumacher the auto racer gave 25 millon before saudi arabia came up with the same amount,fact is money means more to them than there fellow muslims,another fact citizens of the u.s.a. are the most giving people in the world and we are almost all christians[annd i am talking about individuals giving not nations and then we would still be #1].so to conclude if you think that by giving and helping out your fellow man makes you a right wing nut job i can see why you would rather go to vegas 2 or 3 times a year and look down your nose at people and make fun of them only for helping those who can't help themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She said dying a fiery death would be beautiful and if it was caused by a muslim nuclear attack so be it. When did I say all christians are nutjobs? Or for that matter that all right wingers are nut jobs. My parents who I love dearly are right wingers, my inlaws are right wingers, as are most of the people in my family and I dont think any of them are nutjobs. I know lots of Christians who are not nut jobs including myself. Even though I have said I am a strong believer you will still twist it and say that I am not a Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you said you were brought up catholic and have strong beliefs but don't adhere to their teachings now,if your waiting for them to change for your convenience i am afraid your in for a long wait,it amazes me that you want the church to change,along with anyone with conservative ideas to see it your way blasting,degrading,or calling anyone who disagrees with your point of view shortsighted or mindless,time to let a little god in your life.

    ReplyDelete