Monday, September 28, 2009

Health Care Costs for Those of us that have it

I got my enrollment packet in the mail yesterday and was surprised at the changes and the cost increase. If I am reading this right I will be paying an extra 27 dollars a paycheck and my coverage will be decreasing in benefits some drastically high. A few of years ago my wife severely broke her ankle. The tab came to around 45,000 dollars. The HMO I have paid everything except a 250 dollar deductible. I call that great insurance. Jump ahead four years to the present day and with the same scenario I would be paying about seven thousand dollars out of pocket. This is why seventy percent of the personal bankruptcies in the United States are do to health care and and half of those are people who had insurance and could not afford the deductible or went over there maximum allowed benefits. Oh and my insurance no longer calls it a deductible, they now call it co-insurance. I guess that's to make me feel better about it. Anyways on the news tonight they showed that the average a company will pay in premiums for each employee is 9120 dollars. And that's on top of an employee contribution of 2100 dollars a year. Plus an employee will pay on top of that 1900 per year in co pays or deductibles. My question is why would business's be against a national health care? It would drastically reduce the cost to the business in order to compete in a global economy where we are the only country in the modernized world that does not have a national health care system. Those figures are for me and my wife. If we were to have children the cost goes up even more. Its time to cut out the middle man (The insurance companies) from doing nothing useful except enriching themselves on other peoples suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment